Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Favourite Book Quotes

28 June 2016 - Top Ten Favourite Book Quotes




Top Ten Tuesday is a fun weekly link-up/meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish  where they provide a prompt and other lovers of list-making (me! me! me!) join in with their own top ten list. Feel free to have less than 10 or more if you need to at times and put a spin on the topic if you need to. Just please link back to The Broke and the Bookish  if you are participating. Link up with your BLOG POST (not your blog) in the linky provided and remember to pay it forward!




Image result for marilyn monroe happy birthday mr president
Seeing that it was The Broke and the Bookish's blogoversary last week - you can choose what you want to give them for an anniversary present this week. It's not as if we as participating bloggers do not be-gift them every single week with our clever thoughts and wit and participation in this utterly delightful link-up hey. Ag, we don't mind at all - any excuse for cake and wine. HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY!!!




This week is a freebie week: Either you can choose your own Top Ten of what ever you like (of course you can just pick the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 and come up with an equation that most readers will never understand - do as you please) or you can have a throw-back on an old topic. I'm a new blogger, so nothing is "old" in my frame of reference (or regret). 



10 Favourite Book Quotes


181868071. from One plus one by Jojo Moyes (this one is dedicated to those brainy guys who are going to use numbers to confuse us)

The law of probability combined with the law of large numbers state that to break the odds, sometimes you have to repeat an event an increasing number of times in order to get you to the outcome you desire. The more you do, the closer you get. Or as I explain to Mom, basically sometimes you just have to keep going.


1232



2. from The shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Nobody knows much about women, not even Freud, not even women themselves. But it's like electricity: You don't have to know how it works to get a shock. 





18484425



3. from The collected works of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zavin

The words you can't find, you borrow. In the end we are all collected works. He has read enough to know there are no collections where each story is perfect. Some hits, some misses. If you're lucky, a standout. And in the end, people only really remember the standouts. 




19501




4. from Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, insist upon it and sometimes even travel around the world for it. Once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. 




4279056

5. form The Gift by Cecelia Ahern

Time is more precious than gold, more precious than diamonds, more precious than oil or any valuable treasure. It is time that we do not have enough of. It is time that causes the war within our hearts and so we must spend it wisely. Time cannot be packaged and ribboned and left under trees for Christmas morning. Time can't be given. But it can be shared.



9542439

6. from The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

When you pray, you know that you want something. That is always the first step: To let yourself know that you want something, that you yearn for it. Sometimes that's the hardest thing to do, because you have to have courage to know what you desire. You have to have courage to acknowledge that you are unhappy without it. And sometimes you have to find courage to know that it was your folly or your wrongdoing which lost it. 



77270

7. from The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

One of the beauties of Jungle Law is that punishment settles all scores. There is no nagging afterwards.








5508134
8. from The art of racing in the rain by Garth Stein

To live everyday as if it had bee stolen from death, that is how I would like to live. To separate oneself from the burden, the angst, the anguish that we all encounter everyday. To say 'I am alive, I am wonderful. I am, I am'. When I am a person, that is how I will live my life.



2728527

9. from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer


That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book and that tiny thing will lead you on to another book and another bit there will lead you on to a third book. It is geometrically progressive. All with no end in sight and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment. 


and of course:

READING GOOD BOOKS RUINS YOU FOR ENJOYING BAD BOOKS.


2254548010. from The Rabbit Back literature society by Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen (this one is dedicated to all South Africans who is suffering under the strain of the current drought)

Let's think about the rain. Little spheres of water falling from the sky. They're harmless. Do you think that water only belongs in lakes and ponds and rivers, in pipes and bath tubs? What troubles we go to, building ourselves waterproof roofs, clothes, umbrellas, all to keep from having anything to do with water. We try so hard to separate ourselves from it. But we are made from water. You are and so am I. Water is flowing through us all the time. Is water God? It is certainly life at least. Life has its source in water.


What is your favourite quote from a book? Please share it with me. Or share your favourite Top Ten Anything (but if it's that dreaded equations, rather leave it)

Enjoy the rest of the week!





Comments

  1. What a great topic. I have so many favourite quotes. The ones I can remember by heart right now are:

    "Our lives can change with every breath we take", from that book they made the movie out of with Natalie Portman and the tornado... *Googles* Right. Where the heart is.

    Then one from Stephen King, The Body in Different Seasons: "The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them — words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out."

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, just to clarify, it's Leia from LeiaWriting over here. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Hallo Leia! I love your name. My Labrador's name is Lea and she's my favourite girl. Thanks for sharing your quotes, I don't know any of these two books (but thanks for the cryptic clue...). Will have a look at it. Thanks for returning the favour!

      Delete
  2. These are all great! I especially like #s 1,2, and 10. The quote from One Plus One might be my favorite. Yup, keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a gazillion of quotes from books, will have to make a blog post regarding that I think.... Will join another meme on Thursday - Thursday Quotables. Will keep you posted. Thanks for stopping by, sure we'll chat again this week!

      Delete
  3. I love that quote The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society! It's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandy! Hope you've read the book - it is sooooo worth it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Ah! Such a lovely collection of quotes! I'm a massive fan of The Jungle Book and The Guernsey We Made Up This Name Cause War Society. Love the Guernsey quote - it has to be one of my favourites of all time too. I've never heard of The Rabbit Back Literature Society, but that quote does definitely make me want to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rabbit Back Literature Society is a weird book.... There are all these gorgeous quotes and things and the story is weirdly intriguing. Check out my review on the book on Goodreads. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. That quote from Jungle Book made me smile. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Jungle Book and the world would be a much easier place to run if we just want to live by the Jungle Law. Thank heavens for books to distract us and to keep us dreaming and hoping!

      Delete
  6. What a great selection of quotes! I especially love A. J. Fikry and pretty much anything by Jojo Moyes, so I was happy to see those on your list. :)

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! A.J. Fikry was a lovely story. I haven't read that many Jojo Moyes novels (yet), but I actually liked One plus One more than Me Before You....

      Delete
  7. Lovely quotes and lovely post!

    My favorite ones are 5, 8 (I really need to read this book), 9 and 10.

    I'm soooo obsessed with quotes that I usually feature at least one in all my posts, but right know I can't think about a single one I love... Stupid brain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know EXACTLY what you mean!! I have stacks of bookish quotes and can never remember any just from the top of my (also) stupid brain. I am working on a post concerning my "history" with bookish quotes. Will hopefully post today or tomorrow. Watch this space!

      Delete
  8. Some lovely quotes here!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/top-ten-tuesday-63/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! Thanks for visiting and commenting! I read your TTT post - had a good laugh at all those funny names. You should see some of the REAL given names here in South Africa. I had a seasonal worker once who's name was Lot-a-Difference. No jokes.

      Delete
  9. I love book quotes. It's always awesome when you find a quote that you just love. Thank you for the quote about water. Even though I don't live in South Africa, my state is in a drought too. Hope that you guys get rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to see how many people are just as crazy as me about bookish quotes. I will be posting a blog post on my "history" with books and quotes either today or tomorrow. Watch this space! And thanks for visiting again. xoxox

      Delete
  10. You've reminded me of how much I want to try Zavin and Zafon!

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! Always nice to visit you AND to get a visit back. You should really try Zavin and Zafon - both amazing authors. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  11. Great topic! I love that quote from The Shadow of the Wind. I need to read that book so bad. Love the quotes you picked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Shadow of the wind is a marvelous book. You know it forms part of a trilogy? But I've only read the first one (bad bad bad). Still want to read the other two! Happy Sunday!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love talking to you - I always Thalk back!

Popular posts from this blog

King Solomon's mines - H. Rider Haggard

Recipes for Love and Murder - Sally Andrew

The Sunday Post